Thursday, March 30, 2006

FMJ Blog: Days 1 & 2 Finds-

Evening of 3/28/06 while walking Biscuit, our dog, up to the Ralph's Grocery store, I found $.27 in the form of 1 Quarter and 2 pennies. Yesterday 3/29/2006 -- Last night, on our excursion to Santa Monica's Third Street Promenade, the kids and I found $.28 -- Quarter (at Mcdonald's) and three pennies(in front of the shops.) So, that's a grand total of $.55 since I started this blog. When the time permits, I'll do a new count of the found money jar. I do expect it to be at least $25.00 higher since our last count on 1/28/2006. We had some very nice "finds" lately including $16.25 in quarters left in an item purchased at an auction, 2 $1 bills on the school playground, and (this one was weird) I found a $5 bill tossed in a trash can found while taking out our garbage. Maya and Ajay love counting up all the money and dreaming of all the things they could buy with their treasure. I just tell them that one day it will be all theirs and that the things it will buy will be much more fantastic later than what the FMJ money will buy today. Yes, dreams of bags of candy, scads of gum and Wetzel's Pretzels are nice. Teaching the value of money at an early age, in my opinion, is the best thing a parent can do for his children. Last week, I received a dividend check from the Real Estate Investment Trust shares owned by the "Found Money Jar Fund" -- $8.57 per quarter. I showed it to them and told them how soon the dividend money would buy shares in another real estate company. I'm looking for one that owns shopping centers in our neighborhood so they can see, touch and smell their investment. Hopefully, those two buggers are learning the ways of compound interest even as the money passes through their little fingers.

No comments: